Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Have we no shame?

Don't worry, this is not political.

I just returned from the bathroom in the building where my office is. It's the library building--one of the busiest buildings on campus. And there was a student in there talking on her cell phone. She wasn't even using it (as our Delta kids used to say); rather, she was pacing back and forth in front of all the stalls apologizing profusely about some incident with her landlord.

Now I have been known to talk on the phone in the bathroom in the privacy of my own home where background noise can be somewhat controlled, but THIS? This is just too much.

I lost track of the conversation while the toilet was flushing, but it seems she's in a bit of a mess with a bounced check, and I do wish her well. But most of all I wish her some better phone etiquette.

Isn't that somehow a violation of my privacy?

I mean, it's not really that I care that much about privacy, given that I live with a four year old who wants to know all the details of all things bathroom-related and will fight to discover them either first- or second-hand. But here's the thing: If little boys are disallowed in the women's locker room at the rec center--which is quite an inconvenience to me--then I think cell phone talking should be banned in public bathrooms even if it is an inconvenience to some.

I know that that is a logical fallacy, and I don't care.

What is the world coming to?

Maybe we'll find out tonight at the debate.

No comments:

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...