Friday, October 17, 2008

Fall Photos



Earlier this week, my beloved next-door neighbor and I attempted to take our children to a pretty lake for some lovely fall photos with a blue sky, clouds, and autumn leaves in the background. Here is what really happened.


First, we were just walking and all was well for a wonderful 4 minutes. We found a nice spot for a few shots and actually got some that aren't bad:


Olan Mills couldn't do any better


An attempt at a fall photo with a collar shirt


blue eyes


Lake of Clouds



Then we heard a lawnmower start up, and the two adults present practiced their sprinting skills, abandoning one child right.beside.the.lake, and bounding toward the other, who had turned the key on a large piece of wheeled equipment with sharp blades. The guilty party was plucked off, and lots of crying and apologies followed. The apologies continued on into the night. I think he was afraid I might forever ban all lawnmower sitting, which is a huge pasttime (especially during visits to Lowe's or Home Depot).


Just before he turned the key


Lawnmower


Next we found another good photo opp spot, but neither child would cooperate.


Dramatic Princess Cheese


Attempts, attempts, attempts

After that, one child ended up in the brush and the other on top of a gravel heap.

she'd had enough of the posing

Eye Rubbing Atop a Gravel Pit

Finally, we left the park and went home to take birth control pills and valium.


The End.

ION ...

Today, JEB got a flu shot and has limped about pathetically for nearly 12 hours now. I am continually amazed at how much/often a four-year old cries. I guess I thought that kids just magically stopped crying EVERYDAY.FOR.LONG.PERIODS.OF.TIME after a few years.


When we pulled his pants down in the examination room I discovered that OOPS! upon dressing himself this morning he forgot underwear. The people at the doctor's office are so forgiving. Last time we were the star attraction because of the permanent dirt on his knees (which neither alcohol nor acetate would remove and four nurses came in to gawk at). Now we're going commando on (pre)school days. What in the world will we do with this child when he's 14?


Y'all: It's only 10 years away!!!!


Breathe.


We came away with a pink lemonade dum-dum sucker and a lot of questions about the flu, the elevator, and pink lemons. What's the flu? Why do I get a flu shot to NOT give me the flu? Why does the elevator only have 3 buttons and carpet and a mirror? How do you make lemonade pink and put it on a stick?

TGIF!!!

Hopefully I'll come away from this weekend with my sanity, a pumpkin, and a not-crying four-year old.

Pray.

For whatever.

Don't bother praying for me to have patience.

That's hopeless.

Maybe just humor.

YES! I like the sound of that.

Happy weekend.

No comments:

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...