Sunday, September 11, 2005

Early Birthday Present


For his birthday, The Goose's dad decided to get him a trike with a co-pilot option (read: handlebar on the back that a parent holds onto and steers out of the way of poison ivy clumps and/or steep cliffs leading to lakes full of leeches). But B has been around me entirely too long now, because he bought TWO and brought them both home and put them together so that we could decide which one was best after trial runs. I do this all the time with shoes! I love how I'm rubbing off.

And as a side note, I'm not sure where we got this humongous kid that promptly threw a leg over the seat and assumed the pedalling position, but I think that it's JEB in disguise. In case you can't tell, he's HUGE. Must be all that lasagna he's been eating. Yep, lasagna. But don't get a kiwi anywhere near his high chair tray unless you want trouble.

Anyway, back to the birthday present ...

While B was putting together the trikes, The Goose promptly claimed this particular screwdriver (see below) for his own and hasn't put it down since. I love his facial expression: "Leave me alone while I work on my wheels."
TRIKES R Us

He was VERY involved in the assembly process, just like any future mechanical engineer would be, of course.

We decided to keep the one in the picture above, because it's lower to the ground, has a longer wheel base, and is thus less tippy. However, upon further testing (outside on the blacktop), it has proven less than ideal. Despite its foot rests, which are for the sole purpose of resting little feet that aren't ready for pedalling yet, his feet still drag the ground and get caught up in the wheels. So, we're back to the drawing board. It's a good thing we started this shopping process a week before his actual birthday.

In the meantime, he's been pushing both of them around the house, crashing into walls and couches and screaming bloody murder whenever he gets into a position where he can't move it any farther (which, on average, is about every 2.5 seconds). Twice he's gotten stuck underneath one of them and he's crashed them into glasses of spillable liquids as well. Fun, fun, fun. (HINT: For his birthday, he wants a (transferrable) gift certificate for a maid and a day at the spa.)

Other than that, there's not a whole lot going on around here. We are trying to get him to walk, to no avail. He just is not interested. We are still doing two naps a day (notice the use of "we" -- ha ha) but are considering transitioning to one, since the two have started getting shorter and shorter. He typically sleeps from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. if you can believe such a thing. I still can't believe that I am finally sleeping uninterrupted. If you had told me that just a few months ago I would've called you a raging lunatic. All the cliches of parenthood are becoming so apparent to me now ... how time flies and how fast they change and how you can NEVER imagine your life as it was before they arrived. Attending movies? Dinner for two? Weekend road trips? GONE. It's not easy, but I wouldn't trade it for much of anything.

No comments:

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...