Sunday, May 29, 2005

Ma-ma, Da-da, Boop-Boop, Sha-wah-wah

Here's Big G just a swangin'. He had a grip on that swing like you wouldn't believe. At first he didn't seem to like it, but then I gave him a little extra push and discovered that he just wanted to be a daredevil. But don't take him anywhere near the slide ladies and gentlemen. It was so traumatic that we had to leave promptly after the encounter.

Before we hit the playground we took a walk around the park's trail system with Goose in the stroller. As I power-walked, he practiced his sound repertoire. Over and over he said, "Ma-ma, da-da, bah-bah. Da-da, bah-bah, ma-ma, yah-yah-yah." If he hadn't insisted upon mixing up the order of the consonants, he would've been so close to singing that Muppets' song, "Ma-ma, Da-da, Boop-boop, Sha-wah-wah" (from The Muppets Take Manhattan). And as an aside, I'd just like to say that B and I have recently rented several muppets movies and even a video of the old Muppets Show and have laughed until we nearly wet our pants.

But back to the park ...

As we strolled, people passed by us and smiled and I proudly announced to each passerby that my son was way ahead of his age group in pronunciation of bilabial stops and interdental fricatives. (In fact, he's not, but I think the word "dental" scares people so bad that they just believe anything you say. Plus, none of those sounds are interdental fricatives, but anyway ...)

See there, that master's degree wasn't for naught after all.

No comments:

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...