Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Cheese: It's not just for mice


cheese
Originally uploaded by Kim Laden.
Well here it is folks, a blog of US. Here I hope to provide updates for family members near and far while satisfying my need to hear myself talk. And don't worry, it contains no personal information (like address, phone, SSNs, etc.); it's just an online journal about our daily lives.

Let's just jump right in ...

Today The Goose enjoyed a typical fun-at-home-with-no-car-rides day since B had to spend the better part of the afternoon taking Suzie Q. Subaru back to the dealership for a checkup. All is well, by the way. While he was gone, I had to actually work at my online teaching job (the nerve of these people called "supervisors" who want you to work when there is perfectly good internet shopping to be done) while simultaneously entertaining The Goose.

The entertainment today consisted of the following items, in order of importance:
(1) a scrap piece of tortilla (I assume he covertly plucked it from the table) -- when this item was taken away, a crying fit ensued, which prompted me to hand him ...
(2) the everpopular wire whisk -- when fascination with this waned, he got ...
(3) the remote control (without the batteries so that he cannot reconfigure our TV to display everything in French)

Things I prevented him from grabbing today:
(1) a dead Box Elder bug
(2) the handle of the garbage can
(3) a handful of cut-up jalapeno peppers

Jane, are you OK? Just breathe, he made it through the day without a scratch. (Except for his allergic reaction to the Kroger brand diapers, which, by the way, are a lot cheaper than Huggies. But of course I would have a baby who, like me, prefers the expensive kind of pretty much anything.)

Whenever things get really bad and the fuss meter is off the charts, we sit him in his swing in front of a Baby Einstein video. His favorite used to be Baby Mozart, but now he likes Baby Beethoven: 25 minutes of Beethoven's music (and also "My Country 'Tis of Thee," -- not sure how that one made the repertoire) with pictures and videos of toys and kids throughout. As an aside, I'd just like to say that the founder of the Baby Einstein Company (maker of miraculous DVDs and other products for babies) is brilliant and I aspire to invent something so simple and make millions like her. Any ideas?

Anyway ...

I usually just put the video on repeat play but have learned from experience that he can only make it through the second repeat up to the part where they show the pictures of babies from around the world before he loses it and I have to actually attend to him. His favorite part of the video is the aforementioned global babies slideshow. By the time the Laotian baby is shown at the end, he is all but hysterical with laughter.

The picture above is what B calls his "school picture shot" where I swear he is actually saying "CHEESE."

Isn't he fantastic?

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love it, kimmie! you're even smarter and prettier and thinner than I already thought.

mamabird said...

Yes!! This is it. Brilliant title, hilarious material...way to go, Mother Goose. I can't wait to read more, and, as a fellow internet addict, you can be sure that I'll be reading EVERY day.

I laughed out loud at the "reprogram our television into French" comment, because our phone now displays all commands in...you guessed it...French. I'm not kidding. Babybird got his little hands on it, and now I'm stuck trying to figure out what "Appeler Inconnu" means.

Anyway, great job again. Be seeing ya --

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...