Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I think this is what they mean about "making the difference in the life of a child."

Brian came home with this letter the other day.  He had biked home in the rain, so it got a bit damp.  It is written by one of his former 4th grade students, Caleb.  The student had mailed it to Brian's current school. 
 
A couple of fun tidbits:
  • This student's father was the minister of the church where there is a preschool into which Sam is hoping to be accepted. 
  • Both the former student and his mother (and me and all others who know & love Brian) were concerned about his refusal to wear a helmet.  So at the end of the year as a teacher gift, Caleb and his family gave Brian a helmet.  He wears it now, but only with the strap UNbuckled.  Argh. 
 
Anyway, I think this is such a classic Brian letter ... he gets this sort of thing occasionally, but they're usually not this well written.  Hello Metro Public Schools?  This is hands-down better proof of his efficacy than any test scores or teacher evaluations:
Dear Mr. Becker,

This is Teacher Appreciation Week, and it made me think of you.  It's been several years since I have seen you.  I ended up going to Head Middle Magnet in downtown Nashville after being in your fourth grade class.

I loved being in your class.  You always made it fun.  It was great when you let us play soccer and played with us.

After my fifth grade year at Head, we moved to Tullahoma, a small town in the southern part of Tennessee.  I attend West Middle and made the middle school soccer team here.  We enjoy the town.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for being my teacher.  You were the best.  Thanks a lot!

Your former student,
Caleb T. Purdue

p.s.  My mom wants to know if you're using that bike helment we got you.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...