Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Thumbsucking Basketcase


Today on the way to school it was snowing. If a flake falls @ 4:31 a.m. then all schools are cancelled. But if it waits until 7:31 a.m. then no one knows what to do. People forget that this is the Southeast and it never snows for very long. If everyone will just stay put and forget about it, all would be well. It always either warms up (in which case melting occurs) or stops (in which case drying occurs).

Nevertheless, by 9:31 a.m., John’s school had called to say that they were letting out early, and half of my students didn’t show up. By 11:31 a.m. there was not a single flake standing, but people were holding strong to their home-bound positions.

So, all of that was really just an introduction to a little anecdote about my drive to school/work with John, who was stuck saying, “Look Mom! It’s still snowing. Look Mom! It’s still snowing. Look Mom! It’s still snowing. Look Mom! It’s still snowing. Look Mom! It’s still snowing. Look Mom! It’s still snowing."

I am not blind. I can see the snow. I didn’t say that out loud though.

Finally, when we were almost to school and I was selfishly looking forward to the post drop-off silence, the quote of the day came out:

“We need some snow plows,” he begins.

“Good idea, bud!” I say.

“I think we need about five of them, Mom.”

“Yeah, five would probably do the trick.” (Picture fractions of millimeters of snow.)

Then it came out … so naturally:

“And Mom! I’m gonna SHARE my snowplows with the munchkins! Are you proud of me?”

I sincerely hope that your Wednesday involved snowplows and munchkins.

That’s all.

Except here is a demonstration of how to get pick out and put on a shirt:

First, pick out a shirt

First (above), pick out a shirt.

Second, pull it over

Second, pull it over your head without any help. Scream for awhile about how you do not need help. Notice that you also did not need help when putting on your inside-out Travis the Tractor underwear and two different colored socks.

Third, admire yourself

Third, finish it up with a little admiration, put your pants on backwards, and smile to yourself throughout the day as you run errands with your dad, who--even after several trips to the restroom--never notices anything out of the ordinary.


No comments:

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...