Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Questions I Can't Answer (though I do try)


Before I list the recent queries, I have to post these pictures, which all have something irresistibly sneaky about them ...

sneaky devil(2007 -- red shirt)

SNEAKY DEVIL.JPG(2005 -- turquoise shirt)

Never thought I'd miss the baby stage until I look back at pics such as this and think, "I did have a baby!"

It leaves your mind.

So anywho...

In the car today, these are the questions that he posed, mostly prompted (I think) from snippets of NPR that he catches from the background:

JEB: "Mom. What is Africa? Who lives in Africa?"

ME: "Oh. Africa is a big continent. All kinds of people live there."

JEB: "Hey Mom! That man on that song [song = anything heard from the car's sound system] just said a potty word!"

ME: "Oh? What word did you hear?"

JEB: "That man said somebody was pootin'."

ME: "Oh! I think it just sounded like a potty word. I think what you heard is the name 'Vladimir Putin'. It's not a potty word if it's in someone's name."

JEB: "But why is his name a potty word?"

ME: "Because he's Russian. He's from Russia."

JEB: "But Mom, what is Russia? Who lives in Russia?"

ME: "Vladimir Putin."

JEB: "Hey Mom ... what's 'Oh. Bah. Mah'?"

ME: "Do you mean 'Barack Obama'? Did you hear that name?"

JEB: "Yeah. Barack Obama. What's that?"

ME: He's running for president of our country."

JEB: "But Mom, what's our country?"

ME: "It's America."

JEB: "But Mom, what's America?"

ME: "It's a country made up of states like Wisconsin, Mississippi, Texas, and Tennessee."

JEB: "Oh. Like those places are America?"

ME: "Yeah. Like that."

Exactly like that.

And now for the week in pictures ...

Green shirt Blue chair

It's a bird, it's a plane ...

he's got the binocs

Today he didn't have anything decent to wear today (laundry needs to be done -- notice the passive voice, which allows the writer to carefully edit out the agent of the action), so we resorted to "church" clothes. In my attempts to bribe him to wear them, I nearly caused a meltdown by telling him that he looked so big that he'd probably have to go to the 4s class. Apparently he doesn't like the 4s' teacher, and so this was quite traumatic for a few minutes during the shoe-tying stage.

And now I shall leave you with the PHOTOS OF THE MONTH. These have to be two of my all-time favorite pictures of The Goose, taken just this week by The Dad:

Blower DudeBlowin' is all the rage.

Tennessee Chainsaw MassacreTennessee Chainsaw Massacre

Classic JEB. The sideways National Park Ranger hat. The John Deere shirt. The jeans. The chainsaw that came from Goodwill. Classic.

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

The goose is so cute. I love the pictures showing how much he's grown - boy they do shoot up at this age don't they! I'm also glad to see he's wearing protective eye gear when blowing - you know it's all fun until someone loses an eye:) (something my mother used to yell at us when we were rough housing)

Basha's Mama said...

That's like us hearing the Basha run around repeating "w w w dot org". I'm sure he heard it on one of our "educational" programs. Do you ever watch Between the Lions? One of their segments is a private eye Potato and at the end of it a little girl says "Mom there's a talking potato on the tv!" and the Mom says "don't worry dear, it's educational!" At least they have a sense of humor. Looking forward to Sunday!

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...