Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The End of an Era (and whatnot)


Goodbye playing trucks.

Hello playing ball.

Be it football toss into the toolbox or basketball dunks in the hamper, we have now entered the ball playing stage. Mama deems it a welcome change from playing trucks.

Today we had another snow day (for JEB only). All other city schools were open, but for some reason his school felt that it would endanger everyone’s lives if we tried to drive through the flurries. Nevermind that we drove anyway—only to discover an empty parking lot and locked doors. I have a lot of things to say about that which can all be summed up nicely by the relatively objective statement: They need a better system of notification.

So, at that point, I had 35 minutes to find childcare. I decided that a community college was just as good a place as any to look for a sitter. Twenty minutes prior to my class, I carefully selected my prey: a 40-something bachelor with an office hour during the exact time my Developmental Writing class meets. And so it was.


Then, at 10 a.m., just as my class was ending, the “sitter” dropped John off in my classroom. The Goose ran in and gave me a big hug in front of all my students and announced, “MOM! I POOPED IN THE POTTY AND DONNY WIPED MY BUTT!”

Luckily, my students' vocabulary is limited. They didn’t understand the meaning of potty or poop given the academic context, and I highly suspect that wiped and butt flew past them too. Heck, I taught half the class today with my pants unzipped and they never noticed.

One student stayed after to talk to him. This was their conversation:

STUDENT: "Hi John. I'm Basem. I'm from Egypt."

JOHN: "Well, hi. How old are you?"

STUDENT: "Guess!"

JOHN: "I don't know."

STUDENT: "38. What you think about that? That is old, no?"

JOHN: "Well, that's enough. Hey! Look at that snow!"

Then we went back to the office and I got yelled at by a sociology adjunct. Apparently the sitter allowed some hallway running that was quite disturbing. Don't worry, the secretary defended him until the end, shooed the angry woman out of the office, and then handed John an American flag." Peace prevailed. Next, the dean announced that children are a lawsuit waiting to happen. I can take a hint. We left: I took him to meet Brian at the Gateway Tire Center, where the poor man had been waiting 5 hours for his car. Note to self: Buy stock in Gateway Tire.

The only other thing I have to add is the discovery of the word "whatnot." Currently we like to make lists of things, end the lists with "and whatnot," and then laugh maniacally. For example: "First we're gonna have a snack, then watch a video, then play ball, and whatnot." I love it. There's the informal future form (be + going to), transitional words, and commas in a series. What more could a girl ask for in terms of linguistic analysis? Good, good stuff.

Pictures of the week ... notice that headgear is popular these days:

Storytime with a JD hat

He wears the hat everywhere: Storytime.

Bathtime with a JD hat

Bathtime.

Diaper Head Roommates

And these are my diaperhead roommates.

OU&S,

k


No comments:

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...