Thursday, August 14, 2008

How Keeping Other People's Children Provides Much Needed Perspective


Stink Bug & Lil' Jimi

We watched our friend's foster kids this past weekend. Originally I volunteered to do this because it was B's week off from his grad school program, and I thought we'd be doing this together. However, he spent the day in his classroom, so I was with three kids all day.

And call me crazy, but I really thought it was EASIER than just having one. I know that wouldn't be the case had they stayed for longer, but still, it provided a much-needed change in perspective for me. Contrary to my original fears, I never once felt outnumbered or cornered or out of control. They all followed my instructions and took naps. They also fought over toys, pushed each other, and whined. But somehow it was OK, and I actually, um, are you sitting down?

I LIKED IT.



Normally, I go around asking B things like:



Why does OUR child always stick his fingers in my face?
Why does OUR child always say my name 654 times a day?
Why does OUR child smile at me when he's getting in big trouble?



Now I'm still asking those same questions, but the agent of action is different. Y'all: NEWS FLASH!



All children stick their fingers in my face.
All children say my name 654 times a day given the option.
All children smile when they're getting in big trouble sometimes.



I am a new woman.

Here are some photos of smiling while getting in big trouble at the dinner table:

Pizza Party

CHEW WITH YOUR MOUTH CLOSED!!!

Stink Mama

Click here for more.

No comments:

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...