Thursday, October 25, 2007

Working in the Rain ... oh what a wonderful feeling!


Well, fall has finally arrived! We have three (stolen) pumpkins, two mums, one gourd, and one new house! Yippee!

Today I met with a husband/wife painter team who refer to one another as "Pie" -- short for "Sweety Pie" -- and who strongly believe in red kitchens, color "hopping," and wild bathrooms. Luckily, they are also the cheapest estimate I have found and can start (and finish!) on Saturday.

In other news, it has been raining.

Note to interested wannabe grammarians: the pronoun "it" in the previous sentence has no antecedent and is commonly referred to as "dummy it" by linguists.

There is lots of news, but I think that under these circumstances, quotes might be better than long-winded stories :

  • “Permaclutch 2 virtually eliminates clutch repairs.”
    ~John-John, in response to UncaLew's statement: "That's not a New Holland, it's a Ford, but New Holland bought out Ford, and supposedly there ain't a Ford thing about them anymore."

Jacket/shoes from Nanny; Jeans from consignment

  • “I have actually had people tell me – during a closing! – that they had quit their job after making the offer and securing the loan on their new house! Ha ha ha ha! Can you believe that?”
    ~Our Closing Agent, who clearly doesn't know about Husband's career goals

  • "Oh no. Another redhead in that house." (said with deadpan expression)
    ~Previous owner of our new house upon being introduced to me

  • “Who is a redhead?”
    ~Me, while examining him and his wife for red roots and discovering no clues

  • “My first ex-wife. See, I’ve bought this house three times. Once with the red-head. Then we divorced and I bought her out of it. Then there was the next one. Then I bought her out of it. Now I got this one.”
    ~Previous owner, pointing to the 3rd one

  • “Look it me, Deddy! Now I know how dat coon musta felt!”
    ~Warrior, Alabama child, hollering from atop the Exxon/McDonald’s playplace cage-simulator area (CSA)

  • “Get outta my damn house."
    ~The Goose, in response to Coon Boy’s usurpation of the CSA

  • “Put on your socks NOW.”
    ~Mama, in response to the above Goose-to-Coonboy interchange

  • “You need to tell her that that wasn’t him who started it before that little boy gets in trouble.”
    ~Coonboy’s delightful mother, in a half-hearted attempt to force her husband to convince me that it wasn’t my child who started the ugly-word war

I think you get the picture. It's been some kind of week. And now, on top of it all, I've decided that I don't like the book that I chose for my Book Club. I'm telling you ... if life gets any harder, I'm just gonna check into a "center" and get a job putting little cherries on cupcakes.

O&U...

Will it EVER stop raining?

I wish California could get some of our rain.

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Congratulations on your new house! I love the picture of the Goose in his rain gear!

Elizabeth said...

happy new house!

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...