Thursday, June 14, 2007

Turtle Season, The Development of Direct-Reported Speech, & My Terrible Life


In case you aren't familiar, turtle season is the time when most of the female turtles from the lake find their way into our yard and lay eggs for other animals to dig up and eat. Sad as it is, that's what happens. We find the remains of their leathery eggs all over. This little sweetie was found in the backyard ...

So, The Guys moved her ...

But she was stuck, so we moved her out front

to the front, so she could find her way back to the lake.

It was a big deal.

Today when he woke up from his nap, I said, "What did you and Dad do this morning?" This is what he said:

"First we went the lie-berry and pay on the payground. Then I said, "Dad can I get a veejo?" And dad said, "No, we have veejos at home."

And that, folks, is DIRECT-REPORTED speech. It's way high up on the language acquisition ladder. I mean, I think it's like on the level of a 5-year old or something. Not that I keep up or look stuff like that up on the internet and then confirm it in my old linguistics textbooks.

In other news ...

WARNING: The next few paragraphs are long-winded and whiny.

Today was not a good day for me. It started out with "Uh-oh. I'm wet" at 5 a.m.ish. Which is not at all like Amish, even though my nightgown is:

Don't get me up at 5 a.m. to watch "All about John Deere Tractors"

We watched 45 minutes of "All About John Deere Tractors and Big Machines."

Then, I had one of those days at work where my students wanted to argue about the meaning of the word "push" as associated with used car dealers ... like "that salesman was pushing a lemon on me." What's the difference between "push, force, convince, and persuade"? And OK, so that's difficult, but let's just move on after 20 minutes, you know? Let's talk about the difference between "bored" and "boring" or something "interesting" that I'm "interested" in. And then I came home a little tense and did my usual routine ... try not to eat ... change clothes ... do yoga before the Master awakeneth from his nap.

But also, earlier today I posted a whole lotta stuff on Craigslist which I am trying to sell in the hopes that we will be moving soon to a smaller house that is not in the middle of a forest and has cable and fast internet. So this woman called and Brian answered and since she was having lots of problems with English, he did the unthinkable: He interrupted me and Rodney Yee during the standing poses segment. So I get on the phone and attempt to understand what seems to be about 90% Mandarin Chinese, 5% English, and 5% background noise. She was interested in my old "Bed in a Bag." So we discussed it ... it's "red" ... it goes on a "bed" ... and then she wanted to come get it, so I started giving directions. At this point she hands the phone over to one of the Background Noisemakers (who, by the way, speaks with native-like proficiency). I give directions -- in excruciating detail -- and she's writing it all down ... repeating it back to me ... it's been like 10 minutes now ... Rodney is paused ... suspended indefinitely in triangle pose ... and then she says "OK, so what are you selling?"

Me: "A bed in a bag ... a reversible comforter with shams, sheets, and valances."

Her: "Oh. It's not the whole bed and mattress?"

Me (inside my head): NO IT'S NOT THE WHOLE BED! OF COURSE IT'S NOT THE WHOLE BED!!! FOR $40!!!???!!!

Me (out loud): No ma'am. It's just the stuff that goes on top of the bed.

Her: Oh. We thought you were selling the whole bed. Sorry.

I had to start all over with the sun salutations to synchronize my body, mind, and breath. I had to do handstands and headstands and backbends and I don't know what all to calm my central nervous system. And during all of that calming time, I killed two flies on my mat and some weird see-through arachnid with a large black dot on its head which was biting the devil out of my leg during RELAXATION POSE. I think I need to take a larger dose of my daily medication.

In other news ...

Yesterday the guys mowed the grass:

Mowing the ... clover

The End.


No comments:

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...