Thursday, June 07, 2007

Notice the unzipped PFD


Some ranger he is. This was in the local neighborhood paper on the front page! We're not sure how he was selected, but who better for a photo op on a canoe?

Well it has been a week. I started school and that's always nuts, but I have a light load this summer.

I'm out of steam tonight, but I would like to send a shout out to Ernie, "Joanna," and Sister Mary for their lovely hospitality yesterday afternoon. We so enjoyed our strawberry ice cream and lemon squares and sweet tea and dog petting and John Deere lawnmower rides. And of course the gifts! Four vehicles, one of which is a "conn-rete mixer" and a John Deere tractor floor puzzle:

yet another John Deere

When The Dad came home from playing basketball he said, "Look what Mama did!" He didn't mention the fact that despite the "Ages 3 and up" label, it took this 30-year old nearly half an hour to put that together. I think I yelled at him to GET BACK several times and spilled coffee once, while sweating, trying to figure that thing out. He ripped it apart promptly. So THANKS Joanna ... we miss seeing you around here.

Otherwise, we have been gardening:

gardening

Left to right: sunflowers, lettuce, turnips, peppers, onions, wildflowers and wildtomatoes. Our compost heap is so potent that tomatoes randomly spring up wherever we spread the compost. And despite the other rangers' claims that peppers were impossible to grow from seeds, we have successfully germinated almost 20 plants! And if you or your small city need marigolds, come see us.

This is The Goose and I during our nightly ritual of weeding, deadheading, and checking for aphids:

maters, marigolds, and muscles

We also have some lovely native flowers, including coreopsis and coneflower (echinacea). The backyard has enough mint to keep Trident in business, and I found a lone purple petunia coming up in the yard where, apparently, I dumped out the hanging pot last year and likely spilled a little compost and wham! Purple Wave. It looks lovely in its pot with orange marigolds. I love the contrast of purple and orange flowers. My retirement goal is to own my own plant nursery. Either that or learning acupuncture.

OK, I'm fading, but I have to post these recent Goosequotes:

  • You're a sweet girl, Mom.
  • Got in trouble. Had a attitude. Need to not yell.
  • You know about John Deere tractors? They're kinda like Grandaddy's orange Kubota tractor with the bush-hog attachment.
  • You know about bush-hogs? They're kinda attachments.
  • There's the carbon-oxide deteckor. There it is. Is not a smoke ateckor. Is different.
  • Mom, who wrote this Barney video?
  • When Ms. Mary says GO POTTY just say NO THANK YOU. Don't yell and scream. Don't have a attitude.
  • Look at this cowboy hat! Has a tag! That tag in that shirt might bother me. Cut it out.

Never a dull moment.

Happy June!

No comments:

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...