Thursday, February 09, 2006

Let Your Fingers Do the Talking


Since your voice has left the building. Yes, we survived The Goose's pinkeyes, ear infection, and molar growing, and now The Mama is Pitiful with a capital "P."

Sorry I haven't called, Mom, but I haven't been able to speak at all since Tuesday night. Finally today I have the ability to make throaty, grunting noises. I came down with a cold-like thing on Saturday -- I thought it was whatever The Goose had, but it morphed into a bacterial ear infection and laryngitis. I actually thought I was better on Tuesday, so I taught on Tuesday night and after three hours of subject/verb agreement, I was without the ability to utter sounds. I had already missed Monday's classes in order to rest. Tuesday I didn't have a sitter (B was away at training), so I stayed home to keep the Goose, and then Wednesday and Thursday I couldn't talk at all. I went to the doctor, who gave the above diagnosis, and now I'm popping antibiotics again. This is the third time this winter that I've been sick. Frankly, it's getting old. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be back at work, even though my voice is barely audible and my ear is really painful.

But this blog isn't about ME now is it? I hear you laughing; stop it. When he can type and comment on his own life then I will gladly give up my right to preface his updates with my own troubles. Plus, it is KILLING me not to be able to talk. I just like to talk and it's very debilitating to lose your ability to communicate. OK, enough.

In Goose news, all is well. He is fully into Climbing On Everything Mode. Today we went to the library to play with the Thomas the Train set and I, being still a little puny, lay down on the floor for a minute right beside the train set (the library was practically empty and so this seemed appropriate). When I sat up again, I found The Goose sitting smack dab in the middle of the train track, which is on top of a toddler-sized table. He did it without even one grunt of effort -- silently, stealthily, just like a pro. Then, on the way out of the library, he fell and smacked his forehead on the concrete and has yet another Goose Bump.

He's really into walking long distances these days, and we frequently walk all around the park without the stroller. He sometimes takes his trike, but usually he prefers that $3 cart. He still prefers the cart over pretty much any other toy. In the picture above, he is looking at Otter Creek from the side of the road. He knows to stay behind the white line, but he likes to get as close as possible anyway and throw things in. He is obsessed with bridges (small, walking path bridges) and will run back and forth over the bridges until he collapses in exhaustion. He's taking only one nap a day now, and if he goes goes goes until lunch and then we go upstairs to read stories before sleeping, he will fall dead asleep in my lap and not wake up for three hours. He is an active, active guy.

We have moved him into a booster chair at the table, although in the last couple days he has refused to eat without the tray on the booster seat. The table is still a little high for him, I guess. If he sees the tray (like on the floor beside the chair, which is usually where we keep it), he'll point and whine until I put the tray on his seat. Then he moves everything from the table onto the tray and begins his meal. Picky, you say. Au contraire (is that how you spell that?). He will eat just about anything you put in front of him ... broccoli, peas, carrots, penne pasta with basil and green beans, hummus, spinach, TOFU ... you name it. I love that about him. And he LOVES orange Gatorade. He takes big gulps and then leans back and says, "AHHHHHH," like thirst quenched, thank you very much. The only thing he really just will not eat is meat. We haven't found a chicken and/or beef dish that he likes. I suspect it's because he still lacks molars, but who knows, maybe we have a little vegetarian.

It's late and I should get some rest. While I'm at work tomorrow, The Goose and The Dad have a work/playdate. Their goal is to finish the flower bed. On account of The Dad's training schedule this week, he has strange off days. So tomorrow The Goose gets to stay home from school and party.

Party on.

No comments:

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...