Monday, December 05, 2005

UNdecorating


This year I spent much time getting the tree up (during naptime and after he's in bed for the night). The strand of fat lights (my favorite part of our tree) blew out, so I spent quite some time transferring each bulb, individually I say, into a strand I got at The Goodwill Store for $1.99. Come to find out, the Goodwill lights were cheap because the bulbs were not already screwed into the strand ... so it actually worked out quite nicely.

Then I carefully placed all of our hand-me-down ornaments at even intervals throughout the tree, committed to ensuring that each section of the tree was evenly adorned with many different types of decorations. That really just means that I interspersed our four types of ornaments as good as I could so that there are apples, icicles, candy canes, and baby's first Christmas on each quadrant. Nevermind that bald spot that faces the wall.

Enter JEB.

First, he picked off a "Baby's First Christmas" ornament and smashed it into one million pieces on the floor. Next, he picked off all of the candy canes and broke them. Then, he unscrewed several of the fat lights and poked around at the skinny lights in such a way that now half of the strand blinks randomly. Finally, he meticulously identified and plucked all of the icicles and brought them to me one by one.

At first it was cute, and then I needed to go make dinner and I started getting annoyed. I tried some distraction techniques. Then a couple of handswats. Finally I discovered that if the lights are unplugged and all of the ornaments are in the top half, then he is not nearly as interested in it. So now we have an unlit, half-decorated tree.

Deck the halls.

But who could resist this?

Bath Robe

Duck bathrobe (handcrafted by Nana).

Delicious.

3 comments:

Basha's Mama said...

A couple of the mommies on my posting board are fencing their trees -
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_15/602-6501847-8683860?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B00020L78M
But I personally like the 1/2 tree better. :)

mamabird said...

We had gold and silver glass shards all OVER the place a few days ago, too. Who knew those shiny balls were made of glass? I never noticed that until now.

Funny how parents of toddlers everywhere now have top-heavy trees. We sure do. Alex was in charge of the ornament hanging, and after he put up eight or so he stopped and said "What's the point? It's just more for him to take down." So we're looking pretty sparse this year.

The lights have been the big thrill at our house, and have provided HOURS of entertainment already.

Thanks for the new pics! They're great. Love the bathrobe...

Carrie said...

Too funny. At least you have a tree. We are the losers with no space and therefore, no spirit. I love how he brought you icicles one by one.

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...