Wednesday, November 16, 2005

14 Months


Dear John Boy,

Things I love about your 14-month self:

  1. You don't care if your clothes match. I do care if your clothes match, but sometimes (just sometimes, not all that much, really) your desire to go outside is so urgent that I throw the first warm thing I can find onto your little body. Then I open the door and get out of the way because LOOK OUT, you are on a mission.
  2. Already you are a much better artist than me. While I struggle to sketch out stick figures, you clearly have a full range of advanced crayon techniques at your disposal. It's obvious from this picture (which came home with you from school today) that you've got a above-average command of color, form, texture, line, and value. Art from school
  3. You already know how to use a broom. Now THIS is really something that I can appreciate. And today at school, while we were waiting in line to get your picture taken, you tried to help the custodian do a little vacuuming. And also, today, in order to get you to hold still while I tied your shoes, I gave you the dustbuster. This kept you occupied for the entire 39 seconds that it took me to put on both socks and shoes. sweeping (And back to school picture day ... I was a little worried about the photo shoot because of your wiggle worminess and also because in front of us in the line was a two-year old and her little eight-week old brother. The brother was doing fine (despite the fact that they had stuck him in a fake manger with only one pillow and some sad-looking hay made out of brown and tan construction paper). It was the two-year old that was having trouble. She screamed and stomped around the manger and refused to "kiss the pretend baby Jesus" or give high (or low) fives to the photographer. And so I, as usual, stood there in line underestimating you in my mind. I was wondering how in the world to get you to sit or stand still and smile at the same time and not eat the beautifully wrapped, empty shoebox that was to be your prop. But you rose to the occasion, as usual, sat there perfectly still holding the box, and all but said CHEESE. You did so well with the holiday theme that they asked if I'd allow you to pose for the "classic elegance" theme as well. Of course I acquiesced, and in this one you stood by a tiny, brown wicker chair, propped up one arm on the back, and again, all but said CHEESE. It was phenomenal. You wore your new striped sweater from Nana, your navy blue slacks from Macy, and your brown shoes (hopefully they can airbrush away the scuffs). Behind you in line was Emma, from your class, wearing a striped dress in three different shades of pink, a pink hairbow, and PINK cowgirl boots which her mother said were the latest must-have from Wal-Mart.)
  4. You can make an old pair of sweats look like a million bucks.
    warm ups

Happy 14 months!

Love,

Mama

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...