Thursday, June 09, 2011

The Harpeth


My original title was "Paddling the Harpeth." I changed my mind because I felt guilty insinuating that I somehow contributed to the push of the canoe down the river.

It's difficult to paddle whilst holding a Bam, who was alternately fascinated and annoyed by being in a canoe.

One of the outcomes of his annoyance was the loss of my sunglasses, which plunged, in seeming slow motion, from my face into pudgy, dirty hands, and finally to the bottom of the river.



Let's see ... other things I remember about this trip:

  • It was hot.

  • I didn't pack enough snacks.

  • The seats in the canoe necessitated a trip to the chiropractor.

  • Sam had a special chair. Which he sat in for approximately 1% of the 2 mile float.

But what really matters is that John and Brian had fun and on the way home I bought Chick-Fil-A to console myself.

So, all is well. Except I am squinting a lot and regretting the waffle fries.



One thing I've learned as a mother: Things just aren't as fun when you have to unload the car.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Spence Inman said...

Oh man, my life is ALL about packing and unpacking, loading and unloading gear. #1 rule: always pack way more snacks than you think you'll need. Junk food rules go out the window on canoe trips. The swimming looked fun!

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...