Friday, January 29, 2010

Yesterday, Today, & Tomorrow

At some point recently, John-John figured out how to differentiate between all past time and "yesterday." It may have something to do with him having a calendar in his room, which he meticulously goes to every morning (with a red pen) and marks off each day with a shaky-hand X.

At any rate, it seems like a big deal in my mind because (a) it's a big boy thing and (b) I can't trick him as much.

He is just so big these days -- perhaps because Sam is so little these days?

Yesterday, he was quiet in his room before school. So I hollered, from my nursing position on the couch, "What are you doing?"

"Just playing with Black Goldy," he replied.

"Oh. What game are you playing?" I ask.

"Tag."

"Hmmm. So, are you touching him?"

"No ma'am."

"OK good."

"He just keeps getting away."

Nice.

So, this morning I snuck in to watch the tag game (apparently it's a morning post-feeding tradition between them). I thought maybe he'd have his entire hand in the tiny bowl sloshing water around on his rug and furniture. No no. Nothing that simple. He had a magnetic dart stuck down in there sloshing water around on his rug and furniture.

He then sensed me, looked up, said, "Don't tell Dad," and promptly stuck the dart in his mouth, awaiting my response.

What could I say? On so many levels, this anecdote illustrates John-John so, so well. 

Next, he skipped out of his room into the TV room and said, "HEY MOM TODAY'S A BACKYARDIGANS DAY I KNOW BECAUSE IT'S A PATTERN ON NICK ONE DAY FRESH BEAT BAND THE NEXT BACKYARDIGANS FRESH BACK FRESH BACK FRESH BACK!!!"

And he was right. So now as I'm typing, he's belting out the theme song, and -- could it be? -- harmonizing part of it? -- while simultaneously racing his monster truck around on my yoga mat.

I just love him.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...