Saturday, November 21, 2009

Another skateboarding video and an awful pregnant moment

First, a video of Brian videoing while skateboarding behind Mrs. Audrey and John-John:

And now a late-pregnancy moment:

So, today I was talking to another pregnant mom while at our old stomping grounds of Radnor Lake (I'm trying to walk the baby out). It's someone we see there from time to time, and she and I have often discussed our close due dates.

Today the subject turned to names, and I asked her if she had one picked out.

Oh yes: "Londen."

So I say, "Oh, like the city."

Yes, but with an "e" instead of the second "o."

Right.

"I like that," I say.

But then instead of just moving on, I had to ask, "What's the last name?"

BRIDGES.

Now I am 40.5 weeks pregnant, a little hormonal, and slightly insane to begin with, but none of that excuses my response of laughing, obnoxiously, out loud. I all but sang the song.

Then to add insult to injury, I asked about the middle name.

"Fallon."

At this point, Brian has (rightly) evacuated the disaster area, but I'm still going ... I'm clarifying the exact vowel sound in the word "Fallon" -- is it short "a" like "Falcon" or an "ah" sound?

Luckily, it's short because I don't even wanna know what I might have said about a name phonetically equivalent to "London Fallen Bridges."

But YOU, reader, wouldn't you agree -- if one chooses to name a child something like that, then one can reasonably expect some snickers, right? I mean, YOU would've been tempted to at least CLARIFY (if not laugh), correct?

On the way back to the car, Brian is alternately saying things like, "Kim, I cannot believe you laughed out loud!" and "What if she plays sports when she's older ... OH NO! London Bridges has fallen down!"

Unfortunately, none of the laughing or hiking today has made me have even one contraction. I've been taking evening primrose oil, raspberry leaf tea, eating spicy foods, walking, and doing some other inappropriate-to-mention-on-a-blog things that are all supposed to bring on labor. But I know in my heart that I'm gonna end up choking down that awful concoction of castor oil, spending 2 hours on the toilet, and then maybe possibly perhaps getting some minor cramps. That baby is in there living large. Apparently my uterus is like a fetal paradise.

Oh well. Happy Saturday.

3 comments:

Me said...

Why, why, why do parents do things like that to their children?

Elizabeth said...

I don't think I could resist laughing either. And, I might have sang the song. Wonder when it will hit them that that name combination might have been a bad idea. . .

Cindy said...

I busted out laughing when I read this and I had to immediately tell it to John and he laughed his behind off too. Why would they do that? I know that we toyed with the name Ryche pronounced reich. But we came to our senses. But come on Londen Bridges. That is like a friend of mine in college, her dad wanted her name to be Snow and her last was you got it White.

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...