Thursday, July 05, 2007

Happy 5th


I'm a day late. Oh well, at least my child is no longer locked in the windows-rolled-up car while all the patrons at our local branch library gawk as the policeman arrives -- sirens blaring -- to break the window and retrieve him.

Oh yes, I did that. It took three calls to 911, four different borrowed cell phones, 25 awful minutes, and a pipe wrench to get him out. And boy did he come out swinging. Yelled at the officer for "hurting my ears and making that big mess." Yelled! I just let him yell.

Clencher #1: There was an extra key in a magnetized box under the car which I knew about. Panic invokes forgetfullness, apparently.

Clencher #2: Before our tofu stir fry tonight (which was flavored with mamatears), he said thank you for "that policeman who hadda break the glass." Then he said, "I'm sorry I cried, Mama. It was my fault."

Now there is a broken window and a broken heart and only one of those is covered by insurance. Send cucumbers and tea bags, because my poor eyelids may never be the same.

But all is well and he got two Capri Suns, some new crayons, and a horse picture out of the deal. I got twenty-six gray hairs, some wrinkles, and the scare of a lifetime. Not to diminish The Goose's experience, but mostly he was concerned about our inability to clean it up in a timely manner ("Where's the shop vac? Let's call Dadda.") and the loud noise of glass breaking. The librarians lauded him as "brave" and "heroic" as they were writing up their report alongside the policeman. And him sitting there sucking down that high fructose corn syrup, wearing the muddiest rain boots you have ever seen in the middle of a drought.

In other news ... we had a nice visit with Macy & Grandaddy last weekend:

Maternal Kinfolk

We went to the aquarium and had lots of puppet shows.

Fish and Unruly Hair

The puppet shows were encouraged by Macy, who, as a young mother of a Me, was constantly begged to make various animals "talk." This is how a puppet show goes in our house:

Goose: "Let's have a puppet show. I'm the Puppet Ear."

Adult: "OK, what are the rules?"

Goose: "No crying. No walking around. No escalators. No phones."

He then proceeds to take the one and only puppet (a pink bunny rabbit from Steinmart) and dances it around for approximately 7.6 seconds while going "da da da da da dah." Then you're supposed to clap. And it starts all over. Fun! I've got to remember to videotape it. But since I cannot even remember how to find VERY IMPORTANT KEYS HIDDEN FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF UNLOCKING THE CAR, I can't advise any breath holding.

I need sleep. And a new brain and some eyelids while you're at it.

Happy Independence.


1 comment:

mamabird said...

I've been meaning to write you all week -- this story made my heart hurt. I'm so sorry that happened to you guys!!!!!

I grimaced when thinking about how many times I have almost done that. I manage to lock myself out of the house more times than anyone would believe, and I know that this car scenario is somewhere in my future.

And that is the sweetest thing about JEB thinking it was "all his fault." Stab me in the heart while you're at it, buddy.

Your child is so cute, girlfriend. NO HE DIDN'T say "no escalators" when giving the rules to the puppet show. You have to be making that up.

He's a hoot. I can't wait to see what kind of fits these smart, sassy boys give us before we're done with them. I expect that there will be lots of drama ahead.

Hope you guys are doing well. Love you and miss you all --
xo

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...