Sunday, October 08, 2006

A Big Bike


Well, there are two reasons that I'm posting on a Sunday night and neither one is related to procrastination in any way.

The first is that my father-in-law berated me for not posting more pictures last week and I like him, so I wanna keep him happy.

The second is that this child has a new obsession: A Big Bike. It's called a Kettler and it's all the rage with two-year-old Germans. It has no pedals but it does have real wheels, a bell, and a basket (for Josie). It also has a license plate ... look closely at the number, it's meaningful.

Josie rides in the basket, and everytime there's a crash, she falls out and he gets up and says, "Josie OK, Mama." And I say, "Thank goodness, I was worried."

And before the grandmother's get all in a tizzy about his head gear, it should be noted again that there are NO PEDALS and that all he does is walk it around. He is much more in need of a helmet when he is running behind that blasted push cart, which I am about to trash in order to prevent an early heart attack.

Tonight when it was dinnertime and he had to say night-night to the bike, he cried for 40 minutes, refused to eat dinner, and went to bed sulking. I can't wait 'til Christmas.

On an unrelated note, I would just like to say publicly that I eat words. He had two kinds of accidents in his pants today at the train table at our favorite independent bookseller. I shouldn't have bragged about how he hasn't had an accident since his birthday. He had three today -- two in public, one in the foyer. For Christmas, we would really like a gift certificate for a carpet cleaning service (and a weekly maid) ... not that I'm one to hint.

Click the picture to see more shots of him learning to "ride" the Big Bike.

1 comment:

mamabird said...

Goodness, doesn't a train table make EVERYONE want to poop their pants with excitement?? I mean, really, who can blame the kid?

That bike is awesome. I've never heard of such a thing. We have crying and sulking over the "big red car" at our house, which is basically a little coupe that Fred Flinstone might have driven. The only thing that makes it better is when BB gets to decide where to park it for the night. For some reason, parking it in a safe place makes it easier to leave it. Go figure.

I miss you and your boys and can't wait to get back online in some kind of regular fashion. We're still stealing spotty internet from the neighbors over here in just-moved land.

Lots of love!

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...