Thursday, August 10, 2006

More Complex Verb Structures (& Other Developments)


Here he is @ 22.75 months of age. It's the teeth that kill me. In more ways than one. I mean, just the fact that he has a mouthful of teeth! (And he's not afraid to use them.)

But I am most excited this week about the development of three more sentence structures! Get excited.

As you know, The Goose is a pro at using intransitive verbs with first person pronoun subjects such as, "I tee tee" or "I poop" -- nevermind that he isn't inflecting them for past tense (he always announces after the fact) ... I'm not sure he has much of an awareness of time anyway.

Now, we have three new structures:

  1. Transitive verbs: Subject + Verb + Direct Object
    Example: "I want Meow." (stuffed cat)
  2. Linking verbs with predicate adjectives: S +V + PA
    Example: "That's cold." (ice)
  3. The use of dummy "it" with time/weather: It + BE + T/W
    Example: "It's hot." (outside)

I am thrilled. It's just almost too much.

And now, on to the evidence of our most recent bout with biting (not that it matters):

Evidence

See that yellowish bruise? It's really not that big of a deal, really. It just hurt, that's all.

Otherwise this week, we have been spending a lot of time FARTING. I mean, FORTING:

BIG fort

Everybody has to get in the fort together: Mia the Meow, Arty Dog, Big Teddy, Big Doggy, Dad, Mom, tennis balls, dump trucks, Larry the Digger, etc:

Dad Likes the fort too

Inside the Fort

Above: A view from the inside of the fort.

And speaking of Larry the Digger ... I would just like to thank Nana for such a fantastic toy. Granted, Larry has long since been rendered mute either because of overuse or because Dad secretly took the batteries out, but still, he's a big hit. His laryngitis has not in any way diminished his appeal.

Let's see ...

In other news, we are starting to learn how to quantify items and identify certain colors. For example, "Two pink snakes. Sssss."

Yesterday I picked up a Playdoh duffel bag kit at Target complete with a tool that seems to be a combination of garlic press, hair-maker, and snake creator. You put the Playdoh in and then squeeze it and out comes a whole bunch of Playdoh string-like things. Mostly we call them snakes because we have a thing about snakes. Mostly we use the pink Playdoh because we have a thing about pink. We have to pair up the snakes and call the diads "Mama and BAYbee. Ssssss." And that, folks, equals TWO.

Playdoh Table

Above: The Playdoh Table (note the duffel bag on the floor behind him)

In addition to the pink obsession and the fascination with the number two, there are other reasons that I fear I may be raising a fellow English major. He identifies his favorite books by the author's surname. For example, Llama Llama Red Pajama is simply called "Dude-nee" because its author is Anna Dewdny (fabulous book by the way -- there's a scene where Mama Llama says, "Baby Llama! What a tizzy! Sometimes Mama's very busy! Please stop all this llama drama and be patient for your mama."). The Very Hungry Caterpillar is just "Carl" -- I can only assume he means "Carle" as in "Eric Carle," the author. When we read books, we make it a point to always say the title and the author's name. I have a pet peeve about people who love books but never remember author's names. How could you ever recommend a book to someone if you didn't know who wrote it? How could you ever find other books by the same author? How could you diminish what might be someone's magnum opus?

So that's about all from our end. And it is a big end, let me tell you. Mostly on account of my Pepperidge Farms Goldfish intake, I am considering going on Weight Watchers, but that's neither here nor there -- unlike my "end," which, due to size, is both here AND there. Not that it matters.

Happy Thursday.

2 comments:

Me said...

Does the Goose in all his grammatical wisdom have any thoughts about our latest grammatical conundrum?

mamasykes said...

Oh my gracious, you can absolutely tell you are an English freak! Some of us Biology/Banking(???) people don't understand any of that.

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...