Thursday, June 08, 2006

'Maters & Marigolds


Well, if summer is measured by the frequency of itch sessions, 'mater waterin', and trips to the swimming pool, then I'd say it is officially here.

Besides the itching issue, I love the lazy days with all-too-infrequent cool breezes. Tonight The Goose and I walked down to the lake to have a rock-throwing party and it was like there were box fans blowing through the trees. I remember when I was little ... during the summer we would put box fans in the house (not sure why since we had AC) and I'd play babies in the breeze. That's why I love box fans. We'd also eat lots of 'mater samwiches. I planted 'maters for that reason. If you know something that is better than a 'mater samwich with mayonnaise, salt & pepper on white bread, then keep it to yourself, 'cause that may be the one area of my life in which I am 100% completely and totally satisfied.

One thing I did NOT eat growing up was pumpkin pie, which is such a favorite with The Dad that we eat it approximately once a week ... usually for breakfast. Traditionally, I, of course, make a delicious home-made pie crust (it's not low fat, but the vitamin A content in the pumpkin makes up for the lard content in the crust, trust me, I've researched). This week, however, I was lazy and we had to resort to freezer crap. In case you don't know the secret: Pumpkin Pie is better if you sneak up on it.

First, ease over to it when no one's looking:

punkin pie #1

Next, ever-so-gingerly grab the fork:

punkin pie #2

Then, get you a scoop:

Punkin Pie #3

Last, stuff your piehole:

PP #4

And speaking of HIM ...

The Goose and I take these long walks down to the lake or hiking on trails or up to the gourmet popsicle stand (Las Paletas!) by the park. They're not long because of distance. They're long because of Curiosity Level. Every stick, every rock, every drop of poop must be examined. HO HO HO.JPG

Every hole dug by egg-heavy Turtle Mamas, every flower -- especially those big purple thistles -- all of it requires the stop, drop, examine routine. Usually the routine involves Mama walking ahead, Goose following behind saying, "Teek!" (stick) or "Poop-pop!" (coyote poop) or, occasionally, "Wuzzat?" (What's that?). Mama then stops, goes back to see, and explains.

Apple & Tree

If I could get enough then I would, but I can't, so I won't.

There are lots of BEDS in our lives these days ...

Flower beds ...

Bed by Dad

Notice the all NATIVE plant species ... except for the temporary azalea bush which we are fostering ... coneflowers, coreopsis, violet, oops, how did those zinnias get in there? Eat your heart out, Mamabird.

And Big Boy Beds ...

BIG BOY BED

There's no mattress on it yet, but this is The Goose's next bed.

BIG BOY BED.JPG...

We found it on a treasure hunt at our local Goodwill store, where B got a new wardrobe all for $15. The man who helped us get it out to the car said that some man brought it in and said his little girl wouldn't sleep on it. So, we figure if we paint it blue and stencil in a yellow moon and stars -- not that we've planned it all out or anything -- then it'll be much a more desirable sleep destination.

NOT THAT WE'RE IN A HURRY TO TRANSITION TO A BIG BOY BED. We just like to think ahead. Currently, everyone is perfectly happy with the TOTAL confinement of the crib, so until he learns to crawl out (or we move -- whichever comes first), he's staying in the crib.

ION ...

Cousin Jack is doing just fine and we have all breathed a sigh of relief. You can read all about him on his Mama's blog, which is inappropriately named www.pgpovondra.blogspot.com. Not that it matters.

Happy weekend to all, and to all a goodnight ... clickety click any photo for more exciting picture commentary on our not-be-missed lives.

p.s. Why does NOBODY (hardly) ever comment on this site? I dutifully comment on all of y'all's and yet it is so rare for me to get feedback. Y'all know how sensitive I am about what other people think ... why is it that NONE of the grandparents or other close relatives -- not to mention so-called FRIENDS -- ever drop a note? Not that I'm fishing ...

4 comments:

CartyCrew said...

Ok, so you want a comment. He is just precious and I stand TOTALLY corrected from saying (a year ago) that he didn't look like either of you. WHAT WAS I THINKING? I'm just waiting for the "just checkin' to see if I wet" comment to come from his mouth. :-) I love you guys and it is truly a blessing to keep up with you and your family through this reading. I hate that you can't come to the reunion, but rest assured I have pictures to show everyone (I'm sure Mr. Glen will too!). Hope to see you soon! Emily

Amy said...

I wonder who finishes the pie that John doesn't eat.

Me said...

Mad props to you on the homemade pie crusts - I didn't think anyone but my mom & I did that anymore. Except we use shortening, so you're extra-cool with your lard.

mamasykes said...

Ok. I never comment. Sorry. You know I think the little man is precious and it's great to hear about all the goings-on in your life. Wish you were coming this weekend. We'll miss you.

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...