Monday, June 11, 2012

The Day the Music Dies

Tonight as I was singing Sam to sleep, it occurred to me that there will come a day when I won't be needed or wanted to do that anymore.  These kinds of thoughts are like small head smacks in a world of fast-paced, ignorant parenting.  It is exactly these milestones that are the most important and the least documented:  When Something Stops Happening Because They Have Outgrown It.

Dependence is bittersweet for Mamas.  Or at least for this one.  I'm starting to see a bipolar trend in my desire to be needed or wanted.  On the one hand, I long to NOT wipe anyone's butt for them ever never ever;  on the other hand, I want to kiss the boo-boos of my sweet chubby-chinned boys forever (or at least the one that's left still being chubby chinned).

Sam, unlike John, has a specific preference for the order and lyrics of his lullabies.  He of the lip-syncing in the car (I know, I know, it is killercute ... a video is forthcoming ...).  For Sam's bedtime ritual, he always asks for "Bye-Buh-Bye-Bye" (sometimes twice), followed by "Hush Little Baby Family Version" and then "Sweet Sam."

Because I probably won't remember this in two years or perhaps even in the pre-coffee moments of tomorrow, I need to document the lyrics, which he often hums along with me, as best he can with "Night Night," his precious lovey, jammed halfway down his throat like a clown trick.

"Bye-Buh-Bye-Bye" (original lyrics by Macy; expanded by Mama; sung roughly to the tune of "Rock of Ages")

Bye-Buh-Bye-Bye baby darlin'
Bye-Buh-Bye-Bye baby boy
Go to sleep-y Mama's big boy
Mama's little pride & joy.

Mama loves her Bamsy big boy,
Mama loves her Sammy GUY. [He almost always chimes in on that last word.]
Bye-Buh-Bye-Bye Big boy Bammy
Bye-Buh-Bye, Buh-Bye-Buh-Bye.

"Hush Little Baby Family Version" 

Hush little baby, don't you cry ...
Mama's gonna sing you a lullaby ...

Hush little baby, don't say a word
Da-da's gonna buy you a mockingbird.

And if that mockingbird don't sing,
Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring.

And if that diamond ring turns brass,
John-John's gonna buy you a lookin' glass.

And if that lookin' glass gets broke,
Macy's gonna buy you a billy goat.

And if that billy goat won't pull,
Grandaddy's gonna buy you a wagon & a bull.

And if that wagon & bull turn over,
Nanny's gonna buy you a dog named Rover.

And if that dog named Rover won't bark,
Grampy's gonna buy you a horse & cart.

And if that horse & cart fall down,
You'll still be the sweetest little Bamsy in town.

"Sweet Sam" (sung roughly to the tune of "Past Life Memories")


Sweet Sam,
How I love my little lamb.
In dreams there is peace,
Close your eyes & sleep.

Sweet Sam,
Stars shine on you -- Sam I Am.
Find peace in your dreams,
Close your eyes & sleep.

No comments:

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...