Monday, March 05, 2012

Lice 0, Girlfriend 1

At approximately 7:45 p.m., I had given up for the day and gone to bed to read Swamplandia! when Brian suddenly came into the bedroom and said, "I have to cut John's hair."
My first thought was that we had finally succumbed to lice (it's been running rampant in his school for the entire year). One day you'll see a kid with all these beautiful curls, and then the next week ... sheered like a spring sheep.
This information wasn't all that concerning to me until I considered the fact that it might lead to ME getting lice, at which point I closed the book.
BEFORE

"Why?" I asked.

"Because his girlfriend wants him to cut his hair."

We sat there for a minute staring at each other, then the grins broke, and finally the details, which were gleaned during a man-to-man talk whilst The Incredibles was on pause:

John has had a girlfriend since February 8th.  He's not supposed to tell anybody; it's a secret.  But he's already told Kavi and Walker and Gavin.  Kavi about passed out when he found out.  She's one of the two best-looking girls in class.  He doesn't really know what it means to have a girlfriend, but he thinks it's cool that she sits right across from him in class.  He knows it's important to respect her. 

I have to admit.  A girlfriend is WAY better than lice. 
AFTER
I'm just surprised HE thinks so.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...