Saturday, April 05, 2008

We're home ...


As in home. As in not at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital on the 6th floor anymore. If a child gets an ear infection, a touch of pneumonia, and has asthma on top of that, then probably he needs to be in the hospital getting pumped up with steroids and antibiotics and oxygen. But all is well and we are home (still with the steroids and antibiotics).

While we were there, I was pitiful ... fighting ANOTHER cold and exhausted and one night as I was getting in the elevator to go down to the parking lot, this man looked at me and said, "You look tired." I just looked at him like he was crazy because really ... is that ever a good way to start a conversation? He continued, "Yeah, I understand. We've been here for a month this time. My wife's back in Kentucky with the other kids and I'm here with this one." He ruined my pity party. And thank goodness he did -- talk about counting your blessings. What was I thinking??? Three days in the hospital with a treatable illness is nothing compared to whatever monster he must be facing.

So I learned a lesson. Another one.

In other news ...

Before we went to the hospital, the Paternals came to visit:

PILs (At the time this picture was taken, I was at home wiping up hot chocolate barf and trying to get a fever down from 105. Yeah. 105.)

Side note: A child is only technically in serious danger if the fever passes 107.6, and in most cases is peaks @ 106.

I think it was good, however, that the PILs didn't know about all of that, because this outting to the lake may have been the only fun they had on their visit to the house of the sickos. Then they left with all of our germs, which still (6 days later) are ravaging them. I don't know whether to send a note saying "thanks" or "sorry" or what.

But all is well now (at least in our house) ... The Goose is happily jacked up on antibiotics and steroids, and besides his fits of adrenaline-induced 'roid rage, things seem to be getting back to normal. He'll have to do an inhaler twice a day for, well, probably at least for a few years ... he'll be tested for allergies ... he might have to start back on Singulair ... and more importantly we'll know better than to think he's OK when he's hacking hysterically night after night.

Moral of the story: Sometimes kids need drugs.

Happy Spring ... hope everyone is well!


2 comments:

Basha's Mama said...

So sorry you've been hit with illness after illness! Now I won't complain about the eternal runny nose. :)

mamabird said...

Did you SERIOUSLY spend three days in the hospital??

Y'all. I'm SO sorry. I hope JEB continues to feel better (and you, too) and that his asthma settles down for a bit.

That sounds rough, K. Thinking of you guys.

love from NC.

To my first on his 14th, 15th, and 16th

Dear John, Happy Sweet 16th, sweet boy. You are now taller than me and your dad. You can pick me up. You have a job. You built a motorized b...